I have to agree with Mike on certain aspects of the NBA before and after blog he wrote. First, the classic examples of phenom players he named is right now. Maybe this holds true for 90% of people that watched the NBA in the 1990's (read: watched the Chicago Bulls, and for some reason at home in the Roch we got WGN, so we got every game, which was the best), but MJ single handedly made me want to watch basketball. I watched basketball to see him play. It's not that they didn't build teams around superstars back then, I don't think, and it's not that MJ didn't have serious attitude or ride his teammates when things weren't being executed, but I like to think there's a difference between him doing that and say, Kobe doing that. I still enjoy watching though, because it fills the time between my eating dinner and writing this blog. I do, on occassion, do other things though. Like work. Let's see, I'm starving and it's 11:38am. So,the debate: It's kind of close to a lunch break to go get a snack and Brown and Brew, but I am hungry, and also, how long do I want to wait to actually take lunch so that my afternoon is significantly shorter? With that said, is it now worth it to go get a cookie?
I think I can hold out, as long as I keep occupied doing this, among other data update related stuff. I just started reading Jonathan Michaelangelo Arp's blog and it is interesting, I will follow it, and he needs to show me the excel game where you shoot apples off people's heads.
I had impromptu meeting #2 with my boss this morning to discuss my future employment/life plan. I feel very lucky that I've known my boss for several years as a student and paid researcher, because it affords me his advice professionally and academically. In addition, he's insanely well connected within the field--bottom line, I hope all of this helps me a) get another job, b) get to school in the near future. His take so far: seriously consider going back to school (problem: I don't know what I want to do yet in terms of research, and I need to shoot to contact a specific lab and visit before applying, and don't want to get stuck in a program or doing something for an extended period of time and realize I don't really love it. This situation is also limited by my research experience (I've only worked in this one lab, which has given me a good skill set but it is very focused and specific to my current work, so I feel I need to branch out.) Also, I'd really like to try another type of research before going back to school). The second part of his take so far is that finding a job right now will be hell because, generally, everyone is holding on to what they have and not expanding. So, if I give that a shot I'll have to get really lucky, and just jump on any opportunity without question if I cut ties at my current position. A lot to think about I guess. My concern is that he, in the back of his mind (and this I understand), in his efforts to help me find another job, will sort of weed out my choices and more strongly favor ones that may help him in the future. Let me explain. He suggested the imaging corps at Tufts Med downtown, but I know that he is moving downtown (his lab) soon, and he straight up told me they want to collaborate with him, but that he plans to turn the tables and get them to collaborate with us. Sounds the same right? It's a PhD power struggle pissing contest throw down. It's a who is really helping who game really, and he wants his lab (the one I work at now) to benefit most out of the situation (obviously).
Basically, Adam needs a change of pace, currently would like to stay in the Boston area, will soon move (and needs to semi calculate this into his plans.
I have included this diagram of a baby polar bear, which serves two purposes: 1) it is cute and non-stressful 2) it looks like it's freaking out and hilarious 3) THAT is what I feel like.credit: http://www.boston.com/travel/gallery/zoo_babies?pg=18
1 comment:
And because of your shameful plug of my interesting and awesome blog you have got yourself a follower and a highly sought after comment!!! Keep up the goood work and updates all of us followers love your work.
Post a Comment